CHA Consulting is currently seeking a Principal Engineering Technician/Designer for our Blacksburg, VA office.
Senior level position where the individual creates CAD drawings, within their discipline, or lead a team of designers, for the creation of various types of engineering drawings. Responsible for drawing creation and self review of said drawings. Provides technical resources, develops and provides direction to all disciplines of Designers.
• The Principal Designer will supervise groups of Designers and have extensive knowledge of codes, standards, and systems operation.
• Would have extensive expertise in design and layout and be responsible for the technical quality of deliverables of the group.
• This level would also have extensive knowledge of other department/discipline requirements and equipment requirements for a project.
• Review drawing production with Engineering and other departments to ensure job schedules and budgets are met.
• Produce lists, standards, and specifications for standard items.
• Coordinate with site personnel to assist in construction concerns as required.
• Participate in project review meetings, site visits and site meetings.
• Perform detailed review of project drawings and vendor drawings, including analysis of schematics to ensure design objectives are met.
• Produce drawing production man-hour estimates and schedules.
• May write portion of technical reports and provide costs and material estimate.
• In addition, may assist in the development of engineering designs from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, construction specification sheets and other data.
• Lead in continuous improvement of design/drawing standards.
• Oversee project drawing production.
• Assist Project Managers with determination of project scope and budget.
• Provide guidance, supervision and mentorship to lower level Designers as required.
• Associates Degree with 12+ years related technical experience.
• Excellent oral, written and communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Has a strong work ethic and ability to work and/or lead in a team environment.
• Show a duty of care towards mentoring lower level Designers.
• Proficient with company CAD software and familiarity with other CAD software and its integration with the company CAD software. Strong trouble-shooting capability.
• Exhibits strong ability to work with Engineers and Project Managers.
• Demonstrates a strong knowledge about the respective engineering discipline.
CHA takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and a variety of opportunities for our employees’ professional growth and development.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.